Friday, October 10, 2014

When a hobby grows into an obsession....

I remember when I started collecting things, as I was 21 years old and living in my new home in Saint Clair Shores. Unsatisfied with the new" furniture available in the marketplace; I sought vintage items from garage sales, estate sales, newspaper ads, etc. If it was pre-1920, I wanted it and usually got it.

However, my real collecting addiction came in my late twenties with the simple find of a bag of Indian Head Pennies, discovered in my garage during a remodeling adventure. I knew there were a couple of coin stores in the area, so I stopped by and bought a book on Indian Head Pennies to learn about my fortune. In total on a wholesale pricing, I received over $800 bucks for my efforts. That was it, I was hooked.

Collecting and "flipping" (buy and reselling) coins; now I know what your saying "coin collector - GEEK!" Not true, if you mentioned coin collecting to me in my younger years, you probably would of got a punch. What amazed me was the cash in collecting coins and flipping them; and if you got lucky, you found a rare variety, bought it for a cheap price and turned it for thousands. What is even best is when your seven year old decides to collect pocket watches, learns to repair them by nine years old and learns to resell them at a Flea Market in Royal Oak on Sundays at the age of twelve. Now at seventeen, he already knows where the coin stores are near and around CMU's campus, so he can eBay at college for spending cash.

So, this is my first post, I have lots to share and hopefully you can educate yourself's and give us your knowledge in return.

CJC

Please see us on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/portaustincollectibles/info

1 comment: