Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Pocket Watches and The One Arm Repairman

THE ONE ARMED REPAIRMAN

In the very early 1980’s, I received my first outside sales job and was in need of some new suits. I was recommended to Gwynn’s in Birmingham, MI; for some nice coats and slacks. One day I was waiting for some tailoring to be done and ventured onto Old S. Woodward Ave., were I noticed above Gwynn’s there were some small shops selling their goods, however, the most interesting was a Pocket Watch repairmen stuffed into a 15’x15’ space.

It became even more interesting watching the repairmen was missing his right arm and was required to use a variety of grips and vices to repair these small pieces. I was invited in to look at some of the pieces for sale by the repairman’s wife; at was amazed at the quality of these Pocket Watches (let alone the price) to purchase one. 

The repairman was a quite sort, but his wife spoke with the most wonderful Austrian accent and was a pleasure to listen to. This was my interdiction to the world of Pocket Watches, un-renounced to me did I know I met one of the World’s sought after repairmen. I stayed for about an hour that first day, and left amazed at the little time pieces.

THE REPAIRMAN’S HISTORY

After several more visits, I finally had to ask the question of the arm! The repairman put down his tool, lift his magnifying glasses and looked at me. It seems that he lived in Krakow, Poland in 1939 when the Nazi’s invaded; were he owned a sewing machine factory. 

In December of 1939, the Nazi’s burst into his factory and demanded to see the owner; and he stepped forward were the Nazi’s announced today was his last day as they were taking the factory for parts manufacture (ammunition) for the war. To guarantee the message was received, after finding the repairman was a Jew, they cut off his arm, so he would not return.

In April of 1940, he escaped into Austria for a short period of time; there he met “the farmer’s daughter,” and together after a short romance, they were married. Together the two trying to escape the war that was growing traveled Europe, Asia and finally found work on a ship heading to America. Arriving in New York in 1943; he found work in a Jewish neighborhood watch repair store; his career began.

After the war, he and his wife wanted to move from New York to somewhere they could establish their own shop and raise a family. In 1950, they moved to Birmingham, Michigan and rent a small space that they never left. The repairman’s reputation grew as the area grew with wealthy auto related families. Many of these executives were immigrants from all over the world and were owners of Pocket Watches passed on from generations.

 These watches were a challenge, as the repair parts were unavailable, the parts needed to be custom made. As his business grew, his reputation grew soon he was receiving watches shipped from around the globe. So, this brief history was my interdiction to the world of Pocket Watches; as well as, history, life lessons and humility.

MY FIRST POCKET WATCH

I started my collection off with a 1916 Elgin, Size 16s, 7 Jewel open Faced piece that the repairman sold me in full working condition for $40.00. Now, the premier watch makers from the United States are Elgin, Hamilton, Hampden, Illinois, South Bend and Waltham; do not get me wrong there are other quality watchmakers in the U.S. and abroad, put my favorites are above.
My first Pocket Watch

Let’s say you read this Blog and think about that your grandfather left that’s been shoved in a drawer years ago; How do you find information about it? Here is a link for you called Pocket Watch Database were you log into, remove or open the back cover of the watch to retrieve the serial number. Type the number and brand into and hit enter, chances are you’ll get your watch on screen with all the facts. Still have that nagging question of value? Simple, go to eBay, type your watch name, size, jewels and year; here you’ll get a pretty good view of the selling range.

Now, here is some free advice, you should be able to tell if it’s a “gold” pocket watch from your research, not sure still; take it to a known jewelry store in your area. Have it tested (should be free), then take it home. I know your saying that grandpa’s dead and you could use the money from a sale, resist the urge. Even grandpa left the watch to you, your justice safe guarding it for the next generation to inherit and protect it, seriously, it’s your family history and that’s worth more than a couple of bucks…
Elgin Interior

HOW TO START COLLECTING

Here in Detroit, you can start at local flea markets (Royal Oak), garage sales, estate sales and even some “fair” jewelry stores. More free advice, stay away from the “Gold” dealers and coin shop establishments; unless you have the good fortune of being near Mack Ave.’ in Grosse Pointe where “Coins and Stamps” is located since 1957. Mike and Jamie are fair and honest and I have purchased over 300 watches from them over the years.

Also, it hurts me to say this; but on eBay, you can really find some great deals, even on Craigslist you’ll run across some sales over time. Like coin collecting, the hunt for Pocket Watches can be fun if you make it. 

Today, I have scaled back on the pocket watch collecting, even selling most of the pieces, I will never sell my first watch; as it is my son’s. My youngest boy who is off to college next fall is a collector himself, even playing around repairing them. He already knows the Pocket Watch dealers near his school, and when he turns 18 will start an eBay account to flip his purchases for a profit and fund his college expenses.

THE BIG QUESTION?

I know you’re asking yourself why I never mentioned the name of the one armed repairman; because for the last several years I have slowly been writing about him and his wife, both now are gone. So, hopefully I'll get published; as they touched my life, they'll touch others.

Have fun collecting !!!!!!


Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment